Sunday 1 May 2011

Frustrations

So I've spent the last week agonizing over my cover. I did what I could but I'm most definitely not a graphic artist; I'm a writer. I've had a particular idea of what should be on cover almost from the day I started the first draft but...
To commission an artist to do custom work isn't cheap. I mean really, it isn't cheap. For someone like me, just starting out, trying to make it work, well, it is not cheap.
I never really liked my cover and so, over the last few days, I've laboured at it, and I finally settled on something that, though still nowhere near what I envisioned, was better than my first attempt. And of course the very next day, I had a better idea.
But, though my subsequent efforts (each one taking me a day and more to accomplish) were better, I still wasn't satisfied.
I've since become a member at a great site, Kindle Boards. Great site. Awesome. Fantastic. It's chock full of information. It's populated by readers, writers and, wouldn't you know it, cover artists.
I posted my frustrations over my utter lack of artistic talent (I hope my writing is better than my drawing!). Almost immediately I received a whole bunch of useful information. What's the punchline? I received a private message from one of the members. She told me that my post got her creative juices flowing and she thought she might be able to help me.
Well, not only did she help me, she created my new book cover! Take a look:

Tell me that's not awesome! I dare you! Thank you so much to Kathleen Valentine who, out of sheer kindness (or maybe pity after she saw my terrible attempt at cover art) decided to help me!
If you happen to be a writer yourself and you like this, then check out Valentine Design.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the new cover page. Like you said you are not a graphic artist but you are an excellent writer. Stay focused on what you are good at:)

    ReplyDelete